Jeff Steinmann is a legend and the author of How to Quit Working: A Simple Plan to Leave Your Job for a Life of Freedom. He is also the mack-daddy of the The How to Quit Working Show that features interviews with lifestyle fanatics who left their soul-sucking jobs to dominate the world of freedom in creating the life they truly love.
Jeff has a fantastic taste for business development, marketing, sales, scalability, and entrepreneurial consulting. In addition, he does a little scribing over at The Huffington Post, Lifehack and Medium.He is a top tier role model for entrepreneurial enthusiast and relentless creatives, and has figured out the ultimate way to capitalize on Life.
Here are the highlights of my funky conversation with Jeff:
- 2:10 – How he manages having a podcast, writing a book, doing consultations, writing for Life Hack and Huffington post, and letting people know that there are many other options out there than just having a job,
- 06:25 – Going through 13 years of college, getting into the corporate word and being unhappy despite the growth in career and money, and finally leaving his 9-5 job on April 15,2012,
- 09:52 – The things he did to prepare himself in quitting his job, the things he did wrong including not getting the validation he needs despite of the concepts and ideas he had in place, and the lessons he want to pass on to folks preparing to do the same,
- 13:39 – Starting with the things you are good so you can provide value as a beginning of a business idea and getting out of your comfort zone to be able to get the wheels rolling,
- 20:49 – The things he learned from the opportunities he encountered, the fruits he gained from listening to feedback and how it changed his business processes,
- 27:19 – The contributions and competencies he gained from corporate life and how he leveraged on them when he moved to the entrepreneurial world, and the value of selling as a skill.
To defeat Godzilla with his talents…
- “I would talk and influence him that fighting and violence is not the way.”
- We have this idea that there are only two choices in life: 1. Get a job and 2. Starve. There are a lot more options in this life than picking from two.
- Knowing what you can offer and putting a structure around that for you to create a business…that’s what real security is.
- Every single idea, no matter how many people tells you it’s a fabulous one, it’s still just a hypothesis until somebody pulls out their wallets and pays for it.
- Business is all about one thing: getting noticed. Once you do, the rest are just details.
- Make a decision that the time you have in this planet is valuable and it’s worth making everything that it can possibly be.