Harry Duran decided to create his own world revolving around what he loves. A huge music advocate and a DJ for 20 years, he took initiative to pioneer his first mobile application, Know Your DJ, and venture out into world of the envelope-bending entrepreneurs. After attending an New Media Expo, Harry kickstarted the “Podcast Junkies” podcast where he interviews fellow podcasters about their passions, lives, advice, insights and more. He also loves Alex Grey…. Can’t beat that.
Here are the highlights of my funky conversation with Harry:
- 4:24 – How it feels being able to follow his dreams and his key take aways with the whole experience of developing apps and building a podcast
- 8:15 – Why he decided to attend the New Media Expo, how it changed his outlook and how it jumpstarted his podcasting career
- 12:20 – The importance of validating your idea with other people and how overthinking can mess things up sometimes
- 13:43 – The hardest part in launching a podcast and the challenging aspects you will meet upfront
- 15:44 – Productivity tools which helps him be efficient and breaking down the processes that he has in place to shave as many minutes of his day as he can
- 19:50 – His experience of having a virtual assistant, the importance of putting SOPs in place, and the list of tools and resources he uses in building systems in place for his VAs
- 22:56 – Getting up early, turning his Gmail off, taking care of his health and all about his regimen to always keep his focus
- 30:00 – The things he has learned in his journey so far including finding the value of the people you meet and also thinking how you can add value to others
One hour to create something, with anyone…
- “I will paint something as long as Salvador Dali is by my side.”
To defeat Godzilla with his talents…
- “I would put on the craziest music playlist so he would start break dancing and head spinning until he won’t have the energy to spit fire at me.”
- [Tweet “”Perfect is the enemy of the good.” – Harry Duran”]
- If you focus your energy in giving the skills that you have out, sometimes magical stuff happens and opportunities open up to you.
- If you are struggling, see where you can provide value and find someone who could use those services. If you give, give, give people will reciprocate and you will arrive in a positive outcome which is beneficial for both parties.
- Know Your DJ – Harry’s App
- http://www.podcastjunkies.com/ – Harry’s Podcast
- https://twitter.com/duranharry – Harry’s Twitter
- Work the System – a book by Sam Carpenter
- Batched Inbox
- Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain