G.K. Bowes is officially one of the happiest people I’ve ever talked to in my life. She has an insanely beautiful energy that feeds inspiration and enthusiasm through the universe, including microphones, computer screens, skype connections, and most definitely this podcast. She is positive because she knows the strength of positivity and the role it plays in creating a dream life, and this episode certainly turned my week into a mountain of smiles.
GK dreamed of being a Voice-Over actress when she was young, but like most of us- she didn’t really think it was possible. She fist-pumped through school with the thought of becoming a doctor, studying micro-biology and molecular genetics. However, her creative itch for voice-overs never left, and she made a decision that most of us never believe we can make.
Screw the traditional career. Follow your dreams.
In this interview, you will learn how GK framed her mind to step away from the “safe” plan and attack her passion. We also get into methods and resources for starting a career in voice-overs. 🙂
GK is well known for using her magical voice to bring characters to life, including roles in Happily N’Ever After 2 (2009), Resident Evil 5(2009) Alpha and Omega: The Legend of the Saw Toothed Cave (2014). and Bleach, Memories of Nobody.
She’s also worked with a massive amount of entertainment, food and beverage, and retail clients including Fox, Sesame Street, Warner Brothers, HBO, McDonalds, Subway, Nike, and Walmart.
To defeat Godzilla with her talents…
- “I will use my most soothing Disney mom voice and lull him to sleep.”
- People are willing to help if you will just tell them what you want to do.
- Constant rejection wearies the soul.
Interview Links & Resources
- Voices.com – Audition for voice-overs.
- Voices123.com – Audition for voice-overs.
- Voicebank.net – Listen to other voice-overs and study them to increase your skillsets / Audition for voice-overs.
- GK’s Instagram
- GK’s Website
- GK’s Super-Fabulous Twitter
- GK’s Linkedin
- 9:57: G.K. shares how she transitioned from Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics to voice over. Voice over was a dream since she was 5. Luck was with her because living in L.A. made it so much easier for her to break into this field and people were willing to help just as soon as she tells them what she wants to do. She was a novelty in a place where everyone wanted to appear in movies while she only wanted her voice heard.
- 15:15: G.K. candidly shares how much she gets paid for her scream in a commercial and how, sometimes, it is such a stab in the heart to learn how much a celebrity earns for a similar job. Going legit in this business for her is all about going to auditions and having jobs lined up regularly. She also shares how having an agent really helps her get a steady stream of work.
- 20:05: G.K. has been doing voice overs for 11 years now and she shares how it was in the beginning when she had to tell her family she is giving voice over her best shot. She also reminisces on how it was then to be in this very competitive career, auditioning and getting rejected. She goes on to share how staying upbeat was a constant challenge when faced with one rejection slip after another.
- 24:27: G.K. shares the one simple but effective tactic she keeps that helps with her success: being amazed by the simplicity of how “being nice” to people can bring positivism in your life. G.K. has an amazing appreciation and awareness of her blessings that simply bring more good stuff in her life.
- 29:00: Validation is something we all look for and G.K. is no different. She talks about how it was to carve a career before the watchful eyes of parents who just did not get it and then how one day, they finally saw it her way and realized she did have a career!
- 34:29: G.K. has a home studio now but in the early days she made the rounds of studios and does the recordings over those places. G.K. shares her tips for anyone looking to get into voice over as well as useful websites to constantly work on the craft.