Our electrifying Artrepreneur for this episode is David Esquire – the owner of Esquire Photography, an international award-winning and published photojournalist and writer, a drummer in a dance-rock band, model for Ralph Lauren, a street dancer in nightclubs and had the opportunity to photograph rock bands including Duran Duran, DJ John B, Orgy, Gary Numan, Robyn, Limp Bizkit, Suicide Machines and more.
This interview is the tits because David and I connected on a supreme energy level that isn’t very common. We dive into his life of creativity through he eyes of the google glass, and why breaking the rules is the most important action you can take in life J
Here are the highlights of my absolute funk-master conversation with David:
- 8:28 : How it feels getting the opportunity to photograph people who inspired him personally and professionally,
- 13:21 : Getting hooked in dancing in the past to express himself through body movements and his performances during that time,
- 15:34 : The driving force of his success and how his love for photography started upon picking up his mom’s Kodak book,
- 19: 48 : How Google glass can impact creative people and their work, the new opportunities it can bring such as filming in first-person perspective and the social ramifications it can bring as well,
- 27:08 : The key components of a photographer’s success including building a relationship with your subject and mastering your craft,
- 38:02 : His epic failure of a memory card failure when he did a shoot of a wedding and how he turn it around to become an amazing success,
- 47:08 : Being a victim of a head on collision and being told about not being able to function anymore and going ahead and defying that to become who he is now, and
- 54:10 :His advice of not getting caught up in the illusion of things.
One hour to create something, with anyone…
- “I would spend it with the late Herb Ritts. He was phenomenal, a visionary and broke the mold in the fashion industry so I would like to work with him. And I would also like to do something creative with my mom. She was the reason why I am where I am now.”
To defeat Godzilla with his talents…
- “I would employ the creative talents of my alter ego and wrap it up in a little toy named Duran Rex and the three of us will have a dance off like in Zoolander.”
- A man can change his stars. – Heath Ledger, A Knight’s Tale
- It’s not about the gear, it’s about the relationship.
- You are only as good as your last photograph.
- Quit copying. Turn your computer off, quit looking at magazines and develop your own eye and your own voice.
- Be a girl/boy scout. Be prepared. If you think you have prepared enough, prepare some more.
- Do not get caught up in the act, the lifestyle, the behavior of chasing the mirage.
- Pain heals,chicks dig scars and glory lasts forever. – Keanu Reeves, The Replacements