Dave Lent is the top shooter when it comes to living life in the NOW. With over 40 years of film under his belt, he has mastered how to live life by staying loyal to his passion, and he is in it for the long run to teach others the same. His revolutionary documentary ‘The 5 Keys to Mastery’ explores a set of universal principles applied by some of the most accomplished people in any industry, including interviews with BB King, Carlos Santana, Linus Torvalds, Paul Reed Smith, Stephen Tobolowsky & more.
Failing in business and forced to retire from football due to health issues, Dave experienced depression at a young age. During these low points, he was introduced to the concept of video production and fell in love with a camera forever. Eventually he moved on to capture some of the most daring and remarkable film, including an inmate being stabbed right in front of his lens on his journey inside the San Quentin prison.
In this episode, Dave walks us through how Marshall McLuhan’s “The Medium is the Message” turned his life around and allowed him to navigate with clearer vision. He also shares how the book, Elements of Style, taught him how to eliminate needless information with the lens and with everything else in his life.
In addition, he breaks down The 5 Keys to Mastery:
- Surrender to your passion – your passion is your calling.
- Practice, practice, practice -perfect your craft.
- Get a guide – get people to help you learn faster and better.
- Visualize the outcome – get it out of your head in a form that you can see it every day.
- Play the edge – push your boundaries constantly. Comfort is the enemy of the artist.
The world needs more people like Dave.
- Steve Allen
- “The Medium is the Massage” by Marshall McLuhan’s
- ‘A Natural Woman’ by Aretha Franklin
- “The Elements of Style” by William Strunk Jr.
- Loyal friends, lovers, partners in his life
One hour to create something, with anyone…
- Dave would work out a plan with The President of The United States to install The 5 keys to Mastery in the educational system to help people find and develop their gifts.
To defeat Godzilla with his talents…
- “I would like to become his coach. Once he gets comfortable with his identify, he could transform himself away from his anger, hostility and destructiveness. I would like to help him discover his calling and make him work with us.”
Advice from Dave…
- If you stay loyal to your passion, you will live the life of your dreams. If you don’t, there’s no way you can.
- Failure is the most wonderful thing in the world. You have to go through that path of failing in order to learn how to succeed.
- Get a guide. Find somebody who’s doing what you want to do and create a way to attach yourself to that person.
- When you follow your bliss, that thing that truly electrifies you, four things automatically happen: you put yourself in the path of good luck, you meet the people you want to know, doors open where there weren’t doors before, and doors open for you that wouldn’t open to anybody else.