What would you do today if you had no responsibilities, priorities or chores to get done? What would you do tomorrow? If you could choose to go ANYWHERE and do ANYTHING this year, what would it be?
It is all completely possible and within reach, you just have to believe that and take action. Everyone has problems. There are obviously distractions and restrictions on time, money and resources. However, the amount of distractions and handicaps completely depends on you and your will to make the necessary changes needed to create the opportunities you love.
A few weeks ago I posted about my two biggest setbacks: lack of network and lack of debt. I dive into my success on creating a giant powerful network of creatives and entrepreneurs all over the world in just six months, and I also tackle my plan in 2015 to eliminate $15k in debt to clear up $800/month in payments and save myself an extra $17k in the process. However, all the savings are coming from decision making through everyday purchases. It’s absolutely attainable and being done RIGHT NOW. You can track my progress here —> 2015k
Now, I’m setting my sights on the first question I asked you. If I could do ANYTHING today, tomorrow, this weekend, next week, next month or this year.. I would travel the world and make a difference. I would visit every national park in the United States and climb mountains everywhere. I would find a way to contribute to the world in ways much larger than myself.
I truly believe that success is driven by one’s ability to understand the importance of happiness- the ability to figure out the things in life that are MOST important to our happiness, and then letting all the other distractions and stress gremlins fall to the ground, helpless. Quit worrying about how you will make ends meet to pay your cable bill and stomp that gremlin to the ground. What is the point of selling your time to NBC when you could be out experiencing the magic of nature, society, culture and heritage- the very magic that created us.
Start re-framing your mind to realize that it’s entirely possible to plan and act on all the things in life you never thought were possible for you. Everything you have ever dreamed of is sleeping on the other side of your comfort zone. Wake it up, ditch the gremlins, plan accordingly and be consistent in your pursuit of happiness!
You can start right now.
Lindsay and I are playing a game that allows us to taste the magic of the world whenever we are feeling overwhelmed, frustrated, stressed or even a bit lost or scared.
I’m sure you have heard of the traditional “bucket list,” where people usually mention things they want to do before they die. The problem is, barely anyone ever takes action on their dreams, and their bucket list seems to still be full when their magic comes to an end on earth.
Don’t let that happen to you.
The beautiful thing about creating is we can make something beautiful out of basically anything.
Create a list of all the things that really light you up inside.
- Family / Friends
- Concerts / Music
- Travel / Foreign Culture / History
- Pizza Parties
Create a list of all the things you want to do while you are alive.
- Where do you want to travel?
- What cultures and societies do you want to visit?
- What activities do you want to experience?
- What new skills or talents do you want to learn? Maybe a new language?
- What have you ALWAYS wanted to do more than ANYTHING?
- These can be self improvement or action items as well. Do you want to write a book? Do you want to go back and finish your college degree?
- What would you do if you had unlimited time, money and resources?
- What are you BIGGEST goals and dreams?
- Are there any new skills that you want to learn?
- What would make your life more meaningful?
- Are there any special moments that you have yet to witness?
- What do you want to improve in your relationships, love, career, finance or health?
Take the first two lists and start pairing them together.
- Do you want to go to Octoberfest in Germany with your good friend Willis?
- Do you want to run a triathlon in Greece with your brother or sister?
- What would it feel like to paint the Italian countryside in person?
- Do you want to take your children to Kayak in the Grand Canyon?
- How would it be to follow the cherry tree blossom season in Japan?
- What would the experience of traveling the entire Trans Siberian railway be like?
- How does an all night RAGER at the Dragon House in Big Sur, California sound?
- Do you want to streak across the field at a Yankees game with your buddy Julio?
- Do you want to write the first chapter of your book while lounging on a hammock in Costa Rica?
Now that you have your lists, which ones are feasible to do TODAY and which ones need planning? Separate the lists.
Somewhere around your house, you should be able to find some old jars, buckets or even boxes. You need three of them. It’s up to you how creative you want to be, but whatever you decide to use will be the hub of all your excitement from here on out.
You can label these whatever you want, but we labeled ours “World Domination,” “Stress Crusher” and “Been There – Done That.”
Put all of the big trips that need panning into the World Domination jar. A few times a year, blindly draw out of the World Domination jar and immediately plan the trip. It’s always a good idea to tuck a little side money away AHEAD of time so that when you draw you epic adventure, you can immediately book your plane tickets and dates to hold yourself accountable. Don’t make the mistake of drawing and then never taking the trip.
At least twice a year (and I’m visualizing a future of non-stop travel,) we have made a commitment to draw out of our World Domination jar, and then we start planning the trip out accordingly 🙂 . So far this year, we drew “Fist Pump and Ride Elephants in Thailand” and I couldn’t be looking forward to it any more.
You can even take it a step further and create one of these pin maps to display your upcoming bucket list adventures. It’s basically a 1/4” thick poster board with a word map glued over it. After we draw an item, we stick it up on the map to remind us the awesomeness about to ensue. This also helps us stay frugal with our money and save accordingly.
All of the items that can be done on any given day go in the Stress Crusher jar. Whenever you are feeling overwhelmed, stressed or dissatisfied with your situation, take a trip over to the Stress Crusher jar and draw an item. No matter what, stop what you are doing and DO IT! There is nothing better than triggering excitement through activities you LOVE spur of the moment. It will help you realize that all these distractions and pain points in life can be crushed by forming relationships with things that TRULY make you happy in life. It’s sort of like a weapon to battle the stress gremlins.
I work a full time job driving 8-10 hours a day, podcast, create websites, work with clients, consult for wordpress and podcasting, exercise, blog, travel and consistently contribute to about five good hobbies of mine. It is through this method that I am able to balance my brain and continue to build consistent relationships and happiness with my friends, family and the greater good of the world.
So, I challenge you!
Find your jars/boxes and create your lists. At least once or twice a year, draw from your World Domination jar and attack your dreams! Whenever you feel stressed or overwhelmed, draw from your Stress Crusher jar and get back in touch with the daily magic of life.
Every time you have a thought of something new you want to do, write it down and add it to the appropriate jar. Whenever you have completed an item, drop it in the “Memory Lane” jar and reflect often on all the amazing experiences you have had. There is nothing better than pulling out an item and reminiscing over just how hard you fist pumped during the magic. This will jog your memory, boost your energy and immediately remind you of the beauty in this world.
I think you will start to notice that most of your troubles, stress and frustration are not necessary and can be crushed by simply switching your train of thought to something you absolutely love. Your energy and will to live will skyrocket, and you will feel that excitement that you did when you were a child getting ready to visit an amusement park. Your relationships with your family and friends will grow to a level you never thought was possible, and your outlook on the world will start to mold you into the person you absolutely love to be.
When your time is up, you will feel nothing but satisfaction while others feel regret.
Don’t wait to do what you love, because you never know when there won’t be any more opportunity. Everyday is a bonus round.
To get you started, here are some items that are in my lists (I literally just dumped list out):
WORLD DOMINATION JAR
- Meditate at Stone Henge
- Visit Boro Budur, Indonesia
- Take the same picture as Grandma Wager at the Tetons
- Visit Polynesia
- Dog sled in Alaska
- Find peace in the Land of the Giant Buddha
- Hike the Appalachian trail through Maine and Washington DC
- Learn to snowboard in Colorado
- Take the pups to the beach
- Meditate at Machu Picchu in Peru
- Fist pump at the Colosseum in Rome
- Camp in Yellowstone National Park
- Visit Sam’s hometown – Azarbaijan, Russia
- Do pushups in Athens, Greece
- Visit the beaches of Normandy
- Backpack for a month in Europe
- Do yoga at the Taj Mahal in India
- Zip line through Costa Rica
- Hike the Mayan Ruins and sleep in tree houses
- Kayak the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon
- Visit Dracula’s castle in Transylvania
- Drink wine on a Gondola through Venice
- Climb a 14er
- Walk like an Egyptian, in Egypt
- Sleep in a castle in Ireland and drink lots of Guinness
- Witness the Northern Lights
- Visit Columbia Island in Georgia
- Back country hike through Red-Wood National Forest
- Visit the Moose in Glacial National Park
- Witness the castle of King Henry VIII
- Scuba dive in Hawaii
- Party with big booties in Brazil
- Find a wild Kangaroo in Australia
- Live in a different country for 3 months
- See Niagara Falls and Montreal Canada
- Go on a meditation retreat on an exotic island
- Find the Neuschwanstein castle in Germany
- Octoberfest in Germany
- Find Neutrality in Switzerland
- Scuba Dive in Chile
- Go on a wild safari in Africa
- Run a mile on the Great Wall of China
- Find the Volcano with Blue Lava
- Speak Spanish with locals in Argentina
- Visit St. Catherine’s Monestary in Egypt
- Take in the beauty of Teran, Iran with Ali
- Visit WWII history in Austria
STRESS CRUSHER JAR
- Take a run through a cemetery
- Go on a picnic and play disc-golf
- Take a six-pack to a $1 theater (lol)
- Plan a weekend road trip to visit a family member
- Book a sky-diving trip
- Meditate at the Red River Gorge
- Rock Climbing at the local gym
- Backpack through Daniel Boone National Forest
- Dominate pizza at Miguels in the Gorge
- Hike a local nature trail
- Explore mammoth cave
- Take pups to the dog park
- Visit the studs at the horse park
- Dominate a beer at West Sixth Brewery
- Work on learning a new language
- Grab a beer at country boy brewery
- Check out a new restaurant
- Spend a weekend camping and white-water rafting
- Pick out nice flowers at a local greenhouse
- Take the next yoga lesson you find
- Volunteer at the local homeless shelter
- Visit a new local bakery
- Visit an art exhibit in Louisville or Cincinnati
- Check out the Buffalo Trace distillery
- Take the pups on a 1-hour walk
- Spend a few hours writing in nature
- Spend a day at a cabin on a lake
- Take a bath with salt and candles
- Volunteer to distribute soup
- Sign up for a half marathon
- Weasel my way into a hot air balloon
- Shower in a waterfall
Remember, my list is tailored more towards travel and exploration, but there are infinite ways to create a bucket list. It’s almost impossible to think of EVERYTHING you want to do at one time, so gradually add ideas as you think of them. The excitement is exponential when you draw an item you completely forgot that you even added!
THE CHALLENGE LIST CREATOR
I am a HUGE fan of ChallengeListCreator.com where you can literally create your own bucket lists by browsing thousands of ideas and adding them. The site also allows you to track progress 🙂
I suggest you create a list and print it.. then cut the items up into your stress crusher and world domination jars! Celebrations will follow.
And also, if you are a travel nut like me, I HIGHLY suggest using Google Flights to find the perfect airfare. It literally shows you the bare-bone lowest prices, filterable by locations, dates, airlines and more. You can even look at bar interactive maps that show you prices around the world, or take it a step further with Google Explore and look at the cheapest days to travel ANYWHERE in bar graph format. And, unlike all the aggregator sites, google flights includes ALL airlines, not just the main commercial lines. IT. IS. EPIC.
GO! Create your lists! Hold yourself accountable! You are the controller of how exciting your life can be. Would you rather be moping in a cubicle blaming your lack of accomplishments and excitement on the evil of the world, or fist pumping while taking a long-boat ride to the exotic islands of Thailand?
I know my answer.
What is on the top of your list? What kind of awesomeness are you putting in your jars? Let me know in the comments, or email me at [email protected]!
The main difference between people is not ability, it’s energy. Down with the stress gremlins!
The world is yours.